Intro Lesson: Cobbs’ Hill reservoir was constructed in 1908 and provides drinking water to the City of Rochester. Adjacent to the reservoir is Washington Grove, a peaceful wooded area full of walking trails and old oak trees. Just down the hill to the north of the reservoir is Lake Riley, which used to serve as a widewaters basin – a turnaround boats would use as they travelled along the Erie Canal.
The water in Cobbs’ Hill Reservoir comes from Hemlock Lake, one of the smaller finger lakes. The water is brought to the city via a 30 mile-long, 5-foot diameter pipe, or conduit.
Word of the Day: conduit – from O.Fr. conduit (12c.) “escort, protection; pipe, channel,” from L. conductus “a leading, a pipe” (from http://www.etymonline.com/)
This trip was on June 23, 2012
Trip distance: 11 miles
Programming time: 2 hours
Participants: Jonathan Shellman
Leaders: Sean Brown, Dwayne, Duke Kiner, Marc Lavender